If you’re anything like me, you didn’t know much about flowers until you started doing some serious research. I couldn’t tell you the name of the trendy flowers (but another Veilability Writer, Georja can here). There are thousands of varieties and it can be a bit overwhelming. That’s why you need an amazing florist to make this part of the process so much easier.
Like any other vendors, you want to find the best fit for your style and budget for your wedding. To help you find the perfect florist for you, we’ve put together a guide to questions you should ask before committing.
About the business
It’s always good to know a bit about the vendor, the owner, and their past work. You’ll be able to find out some of this information from the website, reviews, and social media. These questions will give you a good idea if this business is up to the challenge.
- How long have you been in business?
- Have you done work for weddings before?
- How many weddings do you normally do each year?
- Do you have a portfolio I can browse?
About your day
You want to have all your florist’s attention for your special day. So, ask them these questions to make sure you know exactly what level of commitment you can expect from your florist.
- Are you available on my wedding date?
- Are you handling any other weddings on the same weekend?
- Will you personally be creating the arrangements or will it be another florist?
- Have you worked with my venue before? If not, are you available to do a walk-through to see the venue?
- Will you charge to do a venue walk-through? How much?
Check out this AMAZING hanging installation at Brisbane Racing Club.
Photo by Brisbane Photographer, Ben Clark Photography: @benclarktog
About your budget
Flowers can be super expensive! It’s vital that you stick to your budget so that you don’t have to miss out on another area. It’s important to have a realistic budget in mind and that your florist knows exactly how much you’re willing to spend. Sometimes it just isn’t possible to create your floral vision with a limited budget. Make sure to shop around and have an open mind about which varieties to include in your arrangements.
- I have a certain budget in mind. Can you fulfil my vision while staying in my budget? If no, can you tell me which flowers could be substituted to stay within my budget?
- Do you have a minimum spend? If yes, how much?
- Are there any other fees I should know about? For example, delivery fee, vase rentals, or candle holders (if that’s something that will go with your arrangement).
- Do you provide special packages?
(This bride clearly has a massive budget.)
About your vision
Some brides know exactly what they want, while others need a little more guidance. Either way, your florist needs to be able to work with your style, vision, budget, and venue to give you the best result on the day. Ask them the following questions to gauge if they are the right fit for you.
- I would love to use a certain type of flowers. Are they in season? If not, can you source them? How much will this cost? Can you suggest alternative varieties that are in season?
- I have a particular bouquet/arrangement in mind. If I show you a photo, can you recreate it?
- Or, I don’t really know much about flowers. Based on the season and my style, budget, and venue space, what arrangements will I need?
- I’d like a tossing bouquet. Does this cost extra?
- I'd like a flower headband or floral accessories. Can you make these?
- Can you provide organic, pesticide-free, or sustainably-grown flowers?
- I’d like my flowers to look fresh. How far in advance do you create the arrangements and how do you store them until the big day?
- Can you provide advice about preserving my bouquet after the wedding?
- I’d love fresh flowers on my cake. Will you work with my cake designer to make this happen? If yes, is there an additional charge for this service?
About the logistics
There are so many pieces of the puzzle that have to come together on the day. So that everything goes swimmingly, everyone needs to know exactly who will be doing what, how much it will cost, and how it will all be put away at the end of the night. We suggest cutting out the middleman (you) and finding a florist that will liaise directly with your venue coordinator. You can skip the stress and focus on your special day.
- Can you provide a sketch or mock-up of the arrangements before I commit?
- If I don’t like the mock-up, how many consultations are included in the price to work with you to adjust the arrangement?
- Will you deliver, set-up, and break down the arrangements on the day? I’d prefer you to organise this directly with the venue. Are you happy to liaise with them directly? Do you charge extra for delivery, set-up, and breakdown? If yes, how much?
- How long will you need to set-up? What time will you arrive?
- I’d like to use the same arrangements at both the ceremony and the reception venue. Will you stay to move them after the ceremony? Will you charge extra for this service? If yes, how much?
- Can you provide a detailed, itemised quote for the services we discussed today?
- When do I need to provide final numbers for table centrepieces, bouquets, boutonnieres, and corsages?
- How far in advance will I have to secure your services?
- Do you have a payment plan option? How much is a deposit and when is it due? When is the final payment due?
- What is your refund or cancellation policy?
- What will need to happen after the reception? Will you collect the rented vases from the venue or will someone have to drop them back to you?
- As a tip, at the end of the reception, it's a lovely idea to gift your table centrepieces and/or key floral arrangements as thankyous to parents, family members or friends who've helped out on your special day. You can either hand them out yourself or ask one of your bridesmaids to do it for you.
- Can you show me how to easily repurpose the arrangements for brunch the next morning?
Look at how perfectly this couple and their florist tied everything together! They help their reception at Tweed Gallery Cafe in Northern NSW and you're going to want to check out their stunning views!
See, it’s not that hard when you know all the right questions! We think we’ve listed everything but if you have another suggestion, let us know in the comments below.